Work Experience Information for Students
What is Work Experience?
A placement on employer premises in which a student carries out a particular task or duty, or range of tasks or duties, more or less as would an employee, but with the emphasis on the learning aspects of the experience.
Why Do I Need To Go On Work Experience?
- To discover more about the 'world of work'
- Opportunity to gain insight into a particular working environment
- To develop important work-related skills
- To build confidence and independence
- Experience working with adults and as part of a team
- Work Experience looks good to future employers on your CV
- Adding relevance to your coursework
- Can lead to a full-time position
I Need to Find a Placement...
- It provides an opportunity to work in a career that you are interested in
- It encourages thinking and decision-making skills
- It gives you a sense of realism – finding a job, telephoning, applying,interview and acceptance
- Friends and family contacts
- Current part-time job
- Extra-curricular activities contacts e.g. Gym; Youth Clubs
- Career area specific – do you know someone who works in your chosenjob area
- Work Experience Support Services database (contact your school for the username and password)http://www.workexperiences.co.uk/school_login.html
- Internet search
- Use a personal approach
- Telephone the company
- Attending the company’s premises
- Write a letter or email.
Things You Need to Consider Before You Make Contact With a Company
- How are you going to get there?
What the job really involves
- Ask the employer
- Are you interested in that area of work
You probably won’t be able to get work experience as a Doctor!